Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sugar Plums

We all know about the image of sugar plums dancing in our heads.  I saw an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton had the sugar plum fairy visit and thus he gave a recipe.  I made several changes and feel I can call the new recipe my own.

The process to make the recipe.
When I was looking at recipes for sugar plums, Altons, was probably the closest to what the original was.  From research what I got was that there were actually two different types of "sugar plums".  The first was actually a candied plum.  The second, you guessed it is as follows.  I saw a number of interesting variations, including one that included orange juice, instead of honey and claimed to be a traditional recipe.  That recipe was from a 1940's cookbook.  Sugar Plums date back to the mid 17th century, which would make the orange juice inappropriate.  The powdered sugar in Alton's recipe would also be inappropriate and make them overly sweet.  The original recipe called for almonds, which I unfortunately can not have, so I substituted hazel nuts because they are closest in flavor and texture.  The way these are is rich, flavorful and the raw sugar finish adds the required amount of decadence.

Ingredients
6 oz Hazel Nuts, crushed/chopped
4 oz Plums-dehydrated and cut up (a.k.a. prunes)
4 oz Apricots-dehydrated and cut up
4 oz Figs-dehydrated and cut up
1/4 t anise seed
1/4 t fennel seed
1/4 t caraway seed
1/4 t cardamom
pinch kosher salt
1/4 c honey
1 1/2 c raw sugar

Directions
put all ingredients, except for the raw sugar, in a stand mixer and mix until thoroughly combined
put parchment paper on a sheet pan
dampen hands and roll small balls, a little larger than a small marble, and place on parchment
let sit for 12 hours
put in a large baggie with raw sugar and shake until all of the balls are coated
store in the sugar

Notes
You can use a food processor and pulse until everything is in small chunks, but hand cutting did not take that long and once I was done with my kitchen-aid they were the perfect texture.

I hope this gives you an idea for the holidays.

Anthoinette



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my food blog. If you have any question, comments or concerns please either go to the blog at http://ragingfoods.blogspot.com/ or email me at Raging.Mrs@gmail.com re: Raging Foods.

Thank you

Anthoinette Genheimer

French Onion Soup

 Due to health issues, some members of my family can only eat things with a clear broth base.  I decided to get creative and bring out the c...