Friday, April 13, 2018

Beef Barley Soup

My darling husband has been a bit under the weather.  For us that always calls for Soups!  I have made Pho, Ramen, French Onion and now Beef Barley.  I still have to make an Irish Wild Mushroom Soup and Chicken (probably noodle) soup and what ever else pops into my head.

Tonights concoction was the Beef Barley.  I tried making it in our new rice cooker, because I could.  That worked out well.  The soup was exceptional, even by my strict standards.  So, here is how I made it.

BEEF BARLEY SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
2 T oil
2 carrots, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
1 red onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 T garlic, minced
2 T "Spice Rub" from the Feast Hall
1/2 c barley
2 lb beef
2 qt beef stock
2 qt water

DIRECTIONS:
1)  Heat pan, put in oil and onions and saute for a few minutes before adding carrots, parsnip and celery

2)  Cut beef into small bitesize pieces and mix with spice rub and mix into pan with all remaining ingredients, mix and cover

3)  Bring to a rolling boil for about 30 minutes then drop to a simmer until reduced by 1 qt

4)  Serve with a good bread to soak up all the juices

NOTES:

If you do not have beef stock I have found "Better than Boullion" to be a fine substitute.  I unfortunately have not been able to find good beef stock here so, it has been my saviour.  I used 4 qt water and 2 T Better than Boullion.

Makes 4 qt of soup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my food blog. If you have any question, comments or concerns please either go to the blog at http://ragingfoods.blogspot.com/ or email me at Raging.Mrs@gmail.com re: Raging Foods.

Thank you

Anthoinette Genheimer

French Onion Soup

 Due to health issues, some members of my family can only eat things with a clear broth base.  I decided to get creative and bring out the c...