Friday, December 14, 2012

Yogurt, Greek Yogurt, and Skyre

Yogurt is one the healthy foods that the food industry has not only made
unhealthy but destroyed! Pick up a container of Yoplait or some other trendy
yogurt and read the ingredients. You will find gelatin, High fructose corn
syrup and a number of other sins that have no place in yogurt. I have actually
seen foods claiming to be yogurt without any live cultures in them at all! Just
get plain acidophiles yogurt. The only ingredients that should be in it are
milk and (live)culture. Don't bother with Yoplait, any of the trendy or generic
brands. Go for the ones with rustic names like "Mountain High" or "Old Home".
Most major grocery chains will have some and it might be in the health food
section.


*********************************************************************

You can actually buy Greek Yogurt or Skyre, a Norwegian counterpart, and use it
to the same purpose. I have yet to try true Skyre. I have been told that it is
a tangier non-fat version, of yogurt, that uses a cousin of the live cultures
used in standard yogurt.


Greek Yogurt is an item that I mention in the Ranch Dressing recipe and I am
certain you will see me mention it again. On this item I cheat. No, really I
cheat on this one. I take a quart size tub of plain acidophiles yogurt and cut
an "X" into it, down to the bottom, then I strain it through a coffee filter for
about 3 days in the refrigerator until approximately 2 cups of liquid have
drained. At that point you have homemade greek yogurt.

I personally am very fond of this because I can use it anywhere sour cream is
called for without sacrificing flavor and you drop a lot of the fat. I have put
this out in place of sour cream on multiple occasions and people generally don't
know the difference, or if they do notice, it is a question of curiosity not
distaste.

I hope this helps you better explore the world of yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. My brother suggested I might like this blog.
    He was totally right. This post actually made my day.
    You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent
    for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read
    some more. I am taking your feeds also

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, You've done an excellent job.
    I'll certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends.
    I'm confident they'll be benefited from this site.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my food blog. If you have any question, comments or concerns please either go to the blog at http://ragingfoods.blogspot.com/ or email me at Raging.Mrs@gmail.com re: Raging Foods.

Thank you

Anthoinette Genheimer

French Onion Soup

 Due to health issues, some members of my family can only eat things with a clear broth base.  I decided to get creative and bring out the c...