Friday, December 14, 2012

Pickled Red Cabbage

I can not claim this recipe as my own. I have merely made some minor
modifications. If you like you pickled cabbage a bit sweet, either use more
honey, or brown sugar as the original recipe called for. I personally like it
both ways.

CATEGORY:
Vegetables
Recipe Name:

Pickeled Red Cabbage
Ingredients:

3 large heads of Red Cabbage
2 qts. Red Wine vinegar(originally called for Wine Vinegar)
1 c. Honey(originally called for brown sugar)
1/2 c. mustard seed
2 c canning salt

For Spice bag:
1/4 c. whole cloves
1/4 c. nutmeg(originally called for mace)
1/4 c. whole allspice
1.4 c. peppercorns
1.4 c. celery seed
3 sticks cinnamon (broken in half so it is about 1 1/2 inches long)
Steps:

* core and shred cabbage, layering it in a bucket with salt between each layer
and leave overnight to 24 hours in a cool spot

* rinse cabbage thoroughly and press water out

* pack into either 5 qt jars or 10 pint jars tightly, leaving 1/2" head space

*put vinegar, honey, mustard seed and bag O' spices in a pan and bring to boil
for 10 minutes

* once brine is slightly cooled remove spice bag and pour over cabbage to cover.
If you don't have enough you can top it off with a small amount of water.

* heat process for15 minutes
NOTES:

This recipe comes from a canning book, via a friend and I have made a few minor
changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my food blog. If you have any question, comments or concerns please either go to the blog at http://ragingfoods.blogspot.com/ or email me at Raging.Mrs@gmail.com re: Raging Foods.

Thank you

Anthoinette Genheimer

French Onion Soup

 Due to health issues, some members of my family can only eat things with a clear broth base.  I decided to get creative and bring out the c...